All students must be in uniform, every day. There will be dress-down days, which will be announced during the course of the school year (a dress code for such days is included in this section). If there is a time when the uniform cannot be worn, for some legitimate reason, a note or e-mail from the parent/guardian must be written to the teacher. Students who are out of uniform without this excuse will be sent to the office and the parent will be called to bring in the proper clothing.
- The administration reserves the right to reprimand for non-compliance.
- All uniform regulations and guidelines are subject to the discretion of the Principal and Assistant Principal.
- ALL clothing MUST be labeled. The school is NOT responsible for lost items of clothing.
Mass Days: Official school uniform is to be worn. No P.E. uniforms.
Girls – Kindergarten
Pull-on khaki shorts with red Polo shirt, OR jumpers with white “Peter Pan” shirt. Jumpers are NOT to be worn with red Polo shirt. White (ankle length, crew length or knee-high) socks, solid black velcro tennis shoes. Girls may wear black Mary Jane shoes on non-P.E. days.
Girls – Grades 1 – 4
Red Polos with khaki shorts or plaid skorts. OR, jumpers with white “Peter Pan” shirt. Jumpers are NOT to be worn with red Polo shirts. Brown or black belts (optional), white (ankle length, crew length or knee-high) socks.
1st grade, black Velcro tennis shoes or black Mary Janes (no Mary Janes on P.E. days)
2nd-4th grade, black lace-up tennis shoes or black Mary Janes (no Mary Janes on P.E. days)
Optional: Khaki pants, long sleeve red Polos, short sleeve/long sleeve white Oxfords, navy blue cardigans, navy blue sweater vests.
Girls – Grades 5 – 6
Red, un-tucked Polos, plaid skorts, white (ankle length, crew length or knee-high) socks, black lace-up tennis shoes or black Mary Janes. (no Mary Janes on P.E. Days)
Optional: Long sleeve red Polos, short sleeve/long sleeve white Oxfords, navy blue cardigans, navy blue sweater vests.
Girls – Grades 7 – 8
Red/Yellow/Light Blue, un-tucked Polos, plaid skorts, white (ankle length, crew length or knee-high) socks, solid black tennis shoes or black Mary Janes. (No Mary Janes on P.E. days)
Optional: Long sleeve Red Polos, short sleeve/long sleeve white Oxfords, navy blue cardigans, navy blue sweater vests.
Boys – Kindergarten
Pull-on khaki shorts, red Polo shirt, white (ankle length or crew length) socks, solid black velcro tennis shoes.
Boys – Grades 1 – 6
Khaki shorts, red Polo shirt (tucked in at all times), white (ankle length or crew length) socks, brown or black belts.
1st grade, solid black Velcro tennis shoes.
2nd -6th grades, solid black lace-up tennis shoes.
Optional: Khaki pants, long sleeve red Polos, neck navy blue sweaters, navy blue sweater vests.
Boys – Grades 7 – 8
Khaki shorts, Red/Yellow/Blue Polos (tucked in at all times), white (ankle length or crew length) socks, brown or black belts, black lace-up tennis shoes.
Optional: Khaki pants, long sleeve red Polos, V-neck navy blue sweaters, navy blue sweater vests.
Shoes must be tennis shoes* in SOLID black, top to bottom, with black shoelaces or Velcro (depending on grade). They are NOT to be, Suede, Microfiber, Nubucks, High Tops, Tom’s, Sperry style, Slip-Ons, “Croc” like shoes, boat shoes or sandals. Shoes must be tied at all times, must not be faded, and kept polished, with no rips, holes or tears.
*Girls may wear SOLID black Mary Janes on non-PE days.
All students, Grades K-8
Only St. John Vianney outwear may be worn. This includes red fleece zip jacket, PE sweatshirt, red and white “warm-up” zip jacket, navy blue long sleeve sweater, sweater vest, or long sleeve red Polo shirt.
Girls may wear solid black tights under their skorts.
Physical Education (PE) Uniform for Boys & Girls K-8
- All items must be purchased through Educational Outfitters.
- Grey shirt with school logo and red sport shorts (female students have the option of a female styled grey shirt with logo)
- Solid black, athletic tennis shoes ONLY.
- Exception: 8th Graders may wear the Graduation T-shirt.
Spirit Shirt Days
Students may wear a SJVS spirit shirt of choice. This will be worn with the usual uniform bottoms INCLUDING PE Shorts, shoes, socks and accessories. Ms. Marshall may allow specific accessories per holiday.
Rewarded Dress Down Days
- Jeans are permitted in any solid color. No torn jeans or jeans that have a “torn look”.
- T-shirts with slogans are prohibited.
- Tank tops and spaghetti straps are prohibited.
- See-through clothing or midriff exposure is prohibited.
- Dresses and skirts are prohibited.
- Leggings or jeggings are prohibited.
- Solid color capri pants are permitted for girls.
- Khaki pants are permitted.
- Knee-length, solid color shorts are permitted. Parents will be called if shorts are above the knee.
- Boxer shorts, biker shorts or pajama pants are prohibited.
- Proper undergarments must be worn.
- Hats or caps may not be worn inside of any building.
- Flip-flops, sandals, open-toed, open-back and shoes that convert to roller skates are prohibited.
- Slip-on shoes with no socks are permitted for girls. No open-toed shoes.
- On specified days, when a special t-shirt may be worn, students may wear the t-shirt with uniform bottoms or PE shorts.
Good rule: If you think you shouldn’t wear it, you shouldn’t!
Jewelry, Hair and Nails:
- Jewelry is limited to one watch, one ring, a simple cross or holy medal on a thin silver or gold chain necklace.
- Girls may wear small, post earrings. One earring per lobe. Dangling or hoop earrings are NOT acceptable.
- Boys may not wear earrings.
- Nail polish, nail wraps, acrylic or gel nails are NOT to be worn.
- Girls grades 7 & 8 – may wear cover-up as needed for blemishes.
- Dyed, colored or highlighted hair, fads and trends in haircut styles are unacceptable.
- Boys will have short haircuts ONLY. Hair must be well groomed at all times. Boys hair will not touch the shirt collar, must be trimmed around the ears, and bangs must be above the eyebrows, hair should not fall into face or eyes. No deep cut parts.
- Girls are permitted to wear small, tasteful hair accessories in school colors (navy blue, light blue, red, white or yellow ONLY).
- NO perfume, scented hand lotion or aerosol sprays may be brought to school. These items can be hazardous to children with allergies or asthma.
- Skorts, jumpers, and uniform shorts must be no more than 3” above the knee. Failure to comply with these guidelines will result in disciplinary consequences.
- Students whose hair does not meet the dress code will be asked to leave school with their parent, to get a haircut that will be in compliance with the dress code.
- Only solid white t-shirts may be worn under school shirts.
- Students are not allowed to write on themselves.
Since all possibilities of style, hairstyles and dress material cannot be anticipated, any clothing, accessories, or hairstyles not deemed acceptable or appropriate by the administration will be prohibited. Students who repeatedly violate the uniform policy will be denied dress-down-day privileges. Parents of students who are “out of Code” will be asked to bring in their son’s/daughter’s proper uniform.